<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 23, 2004

So Many Causes 

I am an avid NPR listener, at least, to and from work. It wasn't always this way. My good friend, Jeff, slowly drew me in by usually being tuned in to one public radio station or another. After a time, I started listening on my own. Then I got to know the format over @ NPR. First it was Morning Edition, next came All Things Considered. Then Day-to-Day took over my lunch time car ambient. I knew my conversion was complete when I also found myself listening to Car Talk. Nowadays, only my CD player or a yearning for classic rock takes precedence.

So this morning was a story relating the plight of the "modern" African bushman of the Kalahari Desert -- slowly being squeezed out of habitat, and therefore, existence by encroaching development and economic avarice - the desire for diamonds. Ironically, the Bushmen of the Kalahari are believed to be the world's oldest surviving community, estimated to be 20,000 years old. The Bushmen are being encouraged to give up their "hard lives" of hunting and gathering and take jobs. If I hadn't read Ishmael, I would almost be inclined to suggest these "primitive" people wake up and smell the highly pressurized carbon. But now, the Bushmen need money to fight to keep their lands, where they used to live quite contentedly, even without a copy of the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD.

It occured to me how many good causes there are. Many of them are related on NPR. Many more exist in my community, my church, among my acquaintances. If one listens too hard and too long, it can become rather overwhelming. Breathe, I tell myself. I remember the words of my good friend, Carolyn: "You can't bleed for the world." Perhaps not.

I have things to do.
And bills to pay.

By the way, Cat Steven is now on the DHS Watch List.

Originally, this entry was to be titled Karma Camel Lawn. You see, we had our lawn stripped, roto-tilled and reseeded last week, just a few days before the remnant of Ivan plowed through our neck of the woods. It turns out, that probably spared us considerable insult in that six inches of roto-tilled soil makes a pretty good sponge (or camel, if you will -- although we all know the hump stores fat, not water, right?). So instead of a flooded basement, as we've had previously with the advent of extended or torrential rain, we merely got a trickle into the usual corner of the workshop.

So which causes should one fight the good fight for, anyhow? My inclination is to focus on my family, friends and church community. They're the ones who have buoyed me up when I have needed it most. Who better to support?

So the Bushmen may have to go it on their own. A little honest work won't hurt them, will it now?

breathe.
evolve.
laugh.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?